Halloween, as we know it now, is a children’s holiday where they all get dressed in scary costumes and go “trick-or-treat”ing. But that was not how the celebration originated. Halloween was connected to witchcraft and has some deep rooted spiritual meanings from different parts of the world.
Let’s see why Halloween is celebrated and where it even originated from before it became the second biggest commercial holiday in America. Here are 10 Halloween Facts that are sure to give you the chills:
- 1. They celebrate Halloween in Germany, but as a time to honour and respect the dead.
- 2. One tradition is to hide all the knives in the house, for fear that returning spirits might injure themselves on any knives that are left out.
- 3. One piece of folklore says that if a young unmarried person walks down the stairs backwards at midnight while holding a mirror, the face that appears in the mirror will be their next lover.
- 4. According to History.com, the Halloween we know today can trace its roots back to the ancient Celtic end-of-harvest festival of Samhain. During Samhain, people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off evil spirits.
- 5. Ireland is typically believed to be the birthplace of Halloween. Unlike St. Patricks day, Hallows Eve is dated back to Ireland and the Celts.
- 6. Halloween is thought to have originated around 4000 B.C. Which means it has been around for over 6,000 years.
- 7. Did you know people used to dance for treats on Halloween? Trick or treaters in medieval times would go door-to-door asking for treats and in return would dance, sing, or pray.
- 8. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween. This fear can also present in these other types of phobias like Phasmophobia which is the fear of ghosts; wiccaphobia, the fear of witchcraft; and the fear of darkness, hyctophobia.
- 9. Scarecrows, a popular Halloween fixture, symbolize the ancient agricultural roots of the holiday.
- 10. A child born on Halloween is said to have the ability to talk to spirits.
These facts definitely spooked us a bit. If you would like to stay away from teh scaries and stay indoors, we would definitely support that idea. And if you are planning to host a Halloween Party this year, check out our Halloween Party In A Box! This box has all the Halloween Decor you need for fun yet scary party at home.
Stay home and stay safe this Halloween!